Udev & CUPS Problem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 14:45:13 PST 2007

On 1/18/07, alupu at verizon.net <alupu at verizon.net> wrote:

> Created a replica of the above system on a different drive.
> Obviously, worked identically, but then
> I installed the latest (104) Udev
> (same functionality as 103 except for some "bug fixes") from sources. No other changes/additions/removals.

I hope that besides just updating udev that you've updated the rules
and bootscripts.

> A few details of the PROBLEM:
> 1. No printing whatsoever (No 'lp/lpr <file>', etc.).

In my experience, CUPS can be kind of dodgy. So, I wouldn't be
surprised if CUPS is just failing to access your printer completely
but lying to you about it.

If you're really out of ideas, try running strace around the lp call.
That could give you some clues about where it's stopping/hanging.

--
Dan