Error Grub

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 18 13:51:40 PST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:08:37PM +0100, Vince Greg wrote:
> >Maybe, this is one of the times that 'partition' and 'filesystem'
> >cannot be used as synonyms.  I'm fairly sure that e2fsprogs are not
> >too bothered about the partition _type_.  What does 'fdisk -l' think
> >about the 'Id' and 'System' fields ?  If the Id isn't 83 ('Linux')
> >try changing it in fdisk.
>
> I have an Id=7 for my partition
>
> I don't understand why it was possible to install all without any problems!

 Filesystems, and mount, usually don't care about the type a
partition claims to be.  Grub, and perhaps other bootloaders, does.
So, you only see a problem when you try to use grub.

> What can I do to repair this without losing all my work!
> Thank you very much

 Use fdisk.  Option 'l' to list known partition types, option 't' to
change a partition's system Id.  'l' shows 7 as HPFS/NTFS, 83 is the
usual value for linux (and what fdisk normally defaults to).  I
think you said you were using hda7, probably you accidentally keyed
't' while you were creating the partition, then 7 when you thought it
was asking which partition to change.  Easily done, it's always a
good idea to list all the partitions whenever you create them, just
in case things are not as you intended.

ĸen