Proper choice of package management strategy

bojster lfs at bojster.net
Thu Jan 18 08:38:07 PST 2007

bojster wrote:

> Nadav Vinik wrote:
>
> > "The drawback is that you have to manually set files suid root (but on
> > the other hand, it gives you more control over packages - you decide
> > what should be suid) and that some packages need some tweaking, as
> > their install process behaves badly."
> >
> > And this is what you recommend to newbies?
>
> Yes, I do. I used it when I set up my first LFS and I never regretted
> it - it helped me to gain full control over my system and prevented
> many mistakes I could otherwise overlook (e.g. nVidia <> Mesa files
> conflict).

Also note that problems usually only occur with packages that are
poorly prepared for installation. As for the main LFS (not BLFS)
contents, almost all problems are explained and solved in the hint
(link in my first post), which pretty much gives one the idea how to
handle similar errors in the future.