Proper choice of package management strategy

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 14:13:56 PST 2007

On 1/17/07, Benedikt Schmitt <BS- at gmx.net> wrote:

> The Book excludes any recommendations about which pack'man' to use, which doesn't make it easy for newbies. So, I have (1) the suggestion to the Book's developers to add a "if you don't know at all, take this strategy" sentence, and (2) the following question to the whole list:

Unfortunately, (1) probably won't happen because there's no way
there'd be any agreement. The fact is that you have to try things out
and see what you like.

> Which strategy do you recommend/what are the pro/cons of this choice?
>
> Currently, I feel most attracted to the "Separate dir" or "Symlink Style" possibilities, unless you strongly recommend sth else...

Personally, I think paco (http://paco.sourceforge.net/) is the
absolute fastest way to start using a package manager, and it's
written by an LFSer. All you have to do is wrap the installation
commands in paco calls and you log the files for each package. It has
it's drawbacks, but is very easy to get started with.

The "symlink style" will work for some packages, but it might cause
issues for packages that interact. For instance, dbus expects to find
external services in ${prefix}/share/dbus-1/services. If you install
another package that contains a dbus service file to an alternate
prefix, dbus won't know about that service.

--
Dan