Proper choice of package management strategy

Benedikt Schmitt BS- at gmx.net
Wed Jan 17 13:41:27 PST 2007

Dear List,

currently I am setting up my first LFS build, which I do primarily to learn more about linux, while great performance or flexibility are less important (My machine is a standard Athlon i586 PC).

On the other hand I also want to have a certain possibility to upgrade single packages (apart from toolchain stuff, as discussed earlier) without rebuilding all.

The Book excludes any recommendations about which pack'man' to use, which doesn't make it easy for newbies. So, I have (1) the suggestion to the Book's developers to add a "if you don't know at all, take this strategy" sentence, and (2) the following question to the whole list:

Which strategy do you recommend/what are the pro/cons of this choice?

Currently, I feel most attracted to the "Separate dir" or "Symlink Style" possibilities, unless you strongly recommend sth else...

Thank you for your reply.
Best regards,

Benedikt