Section 5.3 - permissions -

Chuck wcmoore at verizon.net
Wed Jan 17 07:04:05 PST 2007

Version LFS 6.2.3 Live CD

Book Section 5.3

When attempting to create the directory binutils-build using

     mkdir -v ../binutils-build

the directory cannot be created as this backs up one level in the directory structure taking me to   "home"   which requires root access.

Home permissions are:

             drwxr-xr-x   3  root root

Directory for this path is:

root

home

lfs

home/lfs permissions are:

             drwxr-xr-x   2  lfs lfs

Am I in the right directory at this time? I have seen other messages which indicated I need to be in the directory:
    /mnt/lfs/sources

but if that is valid I would have the same problem as /mnt/lfs is owned by root with no write provision for user lfs.

Any idea were I am going wrong here or in a previous section?

Thanks