Problem after entering chroot after jhalfs finishes

Colin Dean cdean at cs.westminster.edu
Thu Jan 11 10:52:52 PST 2007

According to the final output of jhalfs, I have just a few steps to
finish before I've a working system.

One of these steps is to change the root password after chroot'ing into
the newly built system.

When I execute 'passwd', the entire interaction of the program is
skipped. It's like I'm using 'yes' or something. I can't change the
password because of it.  How can I fix that?

Second, and unrelated to the aforementioned steps, when I use 'man', the
output is truncated because of an early termination of error number 256
resulting from:

/usr/bin/zsoelim /usr/share/man/man8/ip.8 | /usr/bin/tbl |
/usr/bin/nroff -mandoc -Tlatin1 | /usr/bin/less -s

I discovered this while attempting 'man passwd' to see if there was a
switch that I could force passwd to accept a password at the command line.

There are so many programs in that command line that I don't know which
one could be causing the error. Individually, each works, and some man
pages (groff, zsoelim) display without errors. Even 'man ls' gives the
above error.

Ideas?