coreutils patches

Vladimir A. Pavlov pv4 at bk.ru
Sun Jan 7 15:12:15 PST 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 01:36, Zeb Packard wrote:
> coreutils-5.96-suppress_uptime_kill_su-1.patch
>
> looks for 'coreutils-5.94/src/Makefile.in'
>
> It asks me for the file to patch then I tell it to look for v 5.96 and
> all is ok.

On the first hand, you're right and it should be "5.96".

On the other hand, when applying a patch the book uses the command like
this:

patch -Np1 patch-name.patch

According to the man page quoted below, this means the first part of
the file name including the first slash ("coreutils-5.94/") will be
stripped before applying the patch.

So, your having an error means your doing something wrong.
Particularly, you must be in the source directory to use the patch
command in the way suggested in the book.

"man patch" gives the following:

MAN_BEGIN
-pnum  or  --strip=num
  Strip the smallest prefix containing num leading slashes from each
  file name found in the patch file. A sequence of one or more adjacent
  slashes is counted as a single slash. This controls how file names
  found in the patch file are treated, in case you keep your files in a
  different directory than the person who sent out the patch.

  For example, supposing the file name in the patch file was

  /u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

  setting -p0 gives the entire file name unmodified, -p1 gives

  u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

  without the leading slash, -p4 gives

  blurfl/blurfl.c

  and not specifying -p at all just gives you blurfl.c.
MAN_END

--
Nothing but perfection
pv