BLFS, XFree86 v4.5.0 (correction on the version) sorry typo

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 5 07:17:45 PST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 12:03:26AM -0800, Joseph Oaks wrote:
> Yep, that got it, question is now, why in the book is it commented out by
> default? I could see it if there was a comment to say uncomment this line
> after you modify your -march= section (in case someone is running say i486)
> but by default, especially for someone who is learning, anyway, thats my
> rant on the topic.

 Well, looking back at the old 6.1 book, it does say
/* System Related Information.  If you read and configure only one
 * section then it should be this one.  The Intel architecture
 * defaults
 * are set for a i686 and higher.

(reformatted by vim when I pasted it! )

 So, I guess the real answer is "you're supposed to read the
instructions in blfs" ;-)  Personally, I'm surprised that you're using
XFree.  Yes, choice is good, and no, I don't want to ram my choices
down your throat.  The point is that I've heard of one reason to
stick with XFree (don't know if it still applies, it wasn't relevant
to me), but most people are using X.org.  So, like everyone else who
follows a path less travelled, you may have to put more effort into
it.

 Also, you should probably be following the development blfs book,
it is a much better fit for what is in LFS-6.2.

ĸen