ipw3945 Wireless Daemon

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 11:00:34 PST 2007

I've got a laptop with the Intel ipw3945 wireless card. In order to
run this guy, you need to load some firmware and start a daemon. I've
been struggling trying to get this to work properly with udev and was
hoping for some help.

On boot, the daemon never gets started. I've been using the following
udev rule which I copied from suse:

SUBSYSTEM=="drivers", ACTION=="add",
DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945", RUN+="ipw3945d.sh start"

This runs a simple little script in /lib/udev which actually executes
/sbin/ipw3945d. I've attached the script. I also took this from suse
with the exception of a couple minor changes, mostly stylistic. I
placed the firmware in /lib/firmware, and it seems to be loaded with
the LFS 27-firmware.rules. I've placed the ipw3945 rule after the
firmware rule at 35-ipw3945.rules.

This is essentially a LFS-6.2 system with udev-096. I'm running
linux-2.6.18.6 and have removed the WAIT_FOR_SYSFS=="bus" rule from
05-udev-early.rules as this workaround is not needed on newer kernels
as I understand. Udev bootscripts are the same.

The rule and script work on suse. When I boot this system, the above
rule never seems to be executed because I have the script send some
output to a temporary file which never shows up. However, if I remove
the ipw3945 module from a shell prompt and modprobe it again, the
daemon gets executed properly from the script and everything works.
For this reason, I believe that the rule and script are correct.

I'm stumped as to why this doesn't happen at boot. I've tried moving
the above rule before the firmware rules, but it doesn't seem to help.
Anyone have any ideas? What's the best way to debug udev during the
early boot process?

Thanks for any help.

--
Dan