su / shadow & /etc/suauth

Bauke Jan Douma bjdouma at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 3 22:45:05 PST 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote on 04-01-07 02:13:
> I've never tried using suauth, but I just looked at the source, and it
> is only enabled if you're using PAM. BLFS has support for building
> shadow against PAM and/or cracklib. Read the warnings, though. You
> don't want to get into a situation where you can't log in to your
> system.

Indeed.

This happened to me more than once recently, what with upgrading
to PAM, upgrading udev, revising the boot precedure (/etc/rcd.,
etc.).  Not an LFS system, btw., but that's not the point.

The point is, I've never had any problem correcting the 'logged
out' situation with the help of a RIP CDROM, of which I always
keep a fairly recent copy available.

Morale: shouldn't LFS also provide some help/advice to users/
installers in this regard, i.e. in chapter 0.0.0 "first we're
gonna burn a RIP CDROM" (RIP, or whatever other rescue CDROM)??

I know -- once a user has to resort to a rescue CDROM, they're on
a sidetrack into the dark woods anyway, and it'll be very hard to
give them additional support in cries for help that are bound to
come up from that sidetrack -- but still.

--
Bauke Jan