extracting gcc-4.03.tar.bz2: no space left on device

Max Tilford droflitxam at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 09:08:43 PST 2007

Hello
I am running the LFS live CD 6.2 and following the
book.
I have gotten to chapter 5.4 without a hitch but when
I try to uncompress gcc-4.0.3.tar.bz2 it produces a
long string of errors saying
"cannot create directory '...' No space left on
decice"

I am installing LFS on a 120 gigabyte hard drive, all
one partition.  I also tried to do this on my other
hard drives, but I got the same error.  The only
problem I can think of is lack of RAM.  I have 512 mb
and have mounted a 5 gigabyte swap.

Am I doing something really stupid?
Any advice?

Thankyou