nForce network adapter module not working

Martin McCourt mmccourt at usa.net
Tue Jan 2 08:33:19 PST 2007

Hi all,

I cannot get my lfs system to create a device for my on-board nvidia ethernet
controller, and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it.  I know it must be
possible, because it's working now under Kubuntu, but no dice under the LFS
liveCD.

I'm on an Athlon64 with an NVidia chipset/sound/ethernet/video/etc.
and the forcedeth module seems to be loaded under the LiveCD, but there
doesn't seem to be any network device created, as I get "Interface eth0 does
not exist" errors.

The device shows up under lspci as:
00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)

Where should I start?  Is it possible there's some kind of "controller" driver
not compiled into the liveCD kernel that would be a prerequisite for this
driver to work?

Martin