gcc-4.0.3 pass 1

Steve Schwarz & Christina Stone bobisgodogisbob at msn.com
Mon Jan 1 17:28:16 PST 2007

>From: Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org>
>To: LFS Support List <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
>Subject: Re: gcc-4.0.3 pass 1
>Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 01:11:27 +0000

>  It isn't a religion.  Learning how a linux system fits together is
>far more important than that ;-)  But seriously, there is a strong
>correlation between people who claim to be following the book
>religiously, and those who turn out to have missed things.  You
>haven't got very far yet, so there isn't a lot of scope for missing
>things :-)

Still sailing smooth at the install of Ncurses (chapter 5.13). so I guess I
am paying close attention ;-)

>  Long ago, when most people were using pentium-II-or-older machines,
>this used to happen fairly often.  ISTR that you can run 'make
>bootstrap3' or even 'make bootstrap4' to add extra passes of gcc
>before it compares the last two builds.
>
>  Possible causes are flakey hardware (unreliable RAM, poor
>cooling/blocked fan, bad power supply).  I was going to add "or an
>old/problematic host system" but the Live CD should solve that.  The
>one issue with Live CDs is that everything runs out of RAM, so if
>the memory is at all problematic, you're more likely to hit
>problems.  Memtest86 (or Memtest86+ for recent boards, particularly
>those with x86_64 processors) are the best tools for checking your
>RAM, but a meaningful test can take several hours.

The system I am running on is a P4 Prescott 3.0 GHz (not overclocked) with
reletively new Matched PNY Ram DDR400 2x512MB. The PSU failed about a month
ago, so I have recently replaced that also. If it happens again, I will shut
down and check to see if the CPU fan is blocked. I have a total of 4 80mm
fans (including PSU fans) and a 120 mm fan cooling this beast (likes to run
hot as you probably know). The board is a very stable ABIT SG-72 with latest
(well, last) BIOS revision. My house is dusty (dirt road and forced hot air
heat) so it could very well be blocked fans.

Thanks for the reply and the history lesson/tips. I will remember them for
future reference.