gcc-4.0.3 pass 1

Steve Schwarz & Christina Stone bobisgodogisbob at msn.com
Mon Jan 1 15:56:56 PST 2007

I am using the LFS live CD to build a LFS system. I figured that since my
main distro is full of apps that could cause problems that this was a safe
direction for attempting this project. Also, this is the very first time I
am doing this, so I am learning as I go.

up until the first pass of gcc-4.0.3 (following the book religeously), I
have had smooth sailing. My first attempt at installing gcc failed with
stage 2 and stage 3 not matching.

I didn't give up, I went back into the install using:

$make clean

and then again running :

$../gcc-4.0.3/configure --prefix=/tools \
--with-local-prefix=/tools --disable-nls --enable-shared \
--enable-languages=c

the second time it compiled with no errors.

My question(for future reference during the build process) is why did this
happen? Is it a product of running from the Live CD, or just a fluke? or is
ther any other possiblities I should watch for?

Thanks In advance for your input