rm -r Function Not Implemented?

William Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Mon Feb 26 21:08:24 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 03:57:18AM -0500, Galaxy Travel wrote:
 > I was doing ok until this point when trying to install
e2fsprogs-1.39 I get
 > this error:

 > rm: cannot remove `.confstat8127-3462/subs.sed' : Function not
implemented

 > Whats going on? Im building using Development LFS.

 > rm -r is not working it looks like and I dont know why.

The rm utility is required to descend to arbitrary depths so that any
file hierarchy may be deleted. This means, for example, that the rm
utility cannot run out of file descriptors during its descent (that
is, if the number of file descriptors is limited, rm cannot be
implemented in the historical fashion where one file descriptor is
used per directory level). Also, rm is not permitted to fail because
of path length restrictions, unless an operand specified by the user
is longer than {PATH_MAX}.

I do not know if this person got the problem rectified, but I do know
that if you don't mount the virtual filesystems prior to going into
chroot, rm will probably not work cause you have no file descriptors
in /dev.

Sincerely,

William Harrington