binutils pass1 ld-new not there?

Karen Karenslfs karenslfs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 11:38:34 PST 2007

On 2/26/07, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Karen Karenslfs <karenslfs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Novice apologies.
> >
> > Host fc6 with later than recommended gcc & gnu c (don't know how to
> > put in older versions)
snipped
> Try this out. Run the last command with a slight addition:
>
> $ make -C ld LIB_PATH=/tools/lib CC="gcc -B/usr/bin"
>
> That will hopefully tell Fedora's gcc to prefer it's ld over the new
> one in the PATH. Then you'd have to do something similar for gcc in
> the next section:
>
> $ CC="gcc -B/usr/bin" ../gcc-4.0.3/configure ...
>
> Also, you can always check if the last command was successful from the
> shell by looking at the variable $?:
>
> $ true
> $ echo $?
> 0
> $ false
> $ echo $?
> 1
>
> It will be 0 if the last command was successful.

Dan

It worked!!! thanks so much.
Finished the make bootstrap, but novice still a little confused.
Below is the end of the make bootstrap output & I then your  suggested
echo $? but I'm not sure if this is good or bad. The first return is
"0" but the second is "1", does this confirm or otherwise that the
make bootstrap was successful??

Karen

emplates ${flags}" \
                                LDFLAGS=" ${flags}" \
                                MULTIFLAGS="${flags}" \
                                DESTDIR="" \
                                INSTALL="/usr/bin/install -c" \
                                INSTALL_DATA="/usr/bin/install -c -m 644" \
                                INSTALL_PROGRAM="/usr/bin/install -c" \
                                INSTALL_SCRIPT="/usr/bin/install -c" \
                                all); then \
                  true; \
                else \
                  exit 1; \
                fi; \
              else true; \
              fi; \
            fi; \
          done; \
        fi
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build'
bash-3.1$ echo $?
0
bash-3.1$ false
bash-3.1$ echo $?