first pass GCC bootstrap problem

Nick Bowes nic_bowes at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 05:52:36 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Nicholson" <dbn.lists at gmail.com>
To: "LFS Support List" <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: first pass GCC bootstrap problem

> On 2/22/07, Nick Bowes <nic_bowes at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Dan, I'll give this a shot tonight when I have the chance. I
>> was
>> wondering
>> if I'd got a little confused with the whole directory structure
>> part!?
>
> If it's your first time following the book, chances are that you did
> get confused (a lot of people do, including me). The idea is that you
> have the /sources directory with all the tarballs and patches. When
> you start a section, the commands on the page expect that you've
> unpacked the associated tarball and entered the source tree. The
> commands shouldn't need to be adjusted if you're in the right
> location.
>
> I should also mention that using /sources isn't strictly necessary.
> But, if it's your first time, I would suggest just following the book
> since it is known to work. You can always tweak things to your liking
> the next time around.

Excellent! did exactly as you said and it's solved the problem. I am
however having a hard time deleting the source and build directories.
If  I do "rmdir -v --ignore-fail-on-non-empty gcc-build/", it prints
"rmdir: removing directory, gcc-build/" but does nothing and returns to
the promt immediatly. Same for the binutils-build. Is there something
i'm missing or should this work?

Thanks for your help Dan