first pass GCC bootstrap problem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:09:37 PST 2007

On 2/22/07, Nick Bowes <nic_bowes at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Dan, I'll give this a shot tonight when I have the chance. I was
> wondering
> if I'd got a little confused with the whole directory structure part!?

If it's your first time following the book, chances are that you did
get confused (a lot of people do, including me). The idea is that you
have the /sources directory with all the tarballs and patches. When
you start a section, the commands on the page expect that you've
unpacked the associated tarball and entered the source tree. The
commands shouldn't need to be adjusted if you're in the right
location.

I should also mention that using /sources isn't strictly necessary.
But, if it's your first time, I would suggest just following the book
since it is known to work. You can always tweak things to your liking
the next time around.

--
Dan