Spring Ahead

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 07:45:43 PST 2007

On 2/20/07, TIM MOORE <MOORET10 at odjfs.state.oh.us> wrote:
> I am running LFS 4.0 and I am trying to follow the steps outlined by
> Chuck Rhode for updating the timezone information.  I'm having some
> trouble on Step E and Step F.  I believe i am running glibc-2.2.5 and I
> downloaded it (as I don't have the sources any more).  I followed the
> step:  zic -d /tmp/timezone northamerica. When I run a cmp on the the
> /etc/localtim and /tmp/timezone/$TZ I get the following error:
>
> cmp: /tmp/timezone/US/Eastern: No such file or directory

OK, I see the problem. US/Eastern is part of the backward compat
zoneinfo and is actually just a copy of America/New_York.
Unfortunately, I don't see an easy way to process the backward file
without doing all the other files first. I think Chuck's method will
only work if you're using one of the real timezone files. Otherwise,
you'd probably have to do a full make in glibc and strip out the
generated data you want.

Of course, now that you know that US/Eastern = America/New_York, you
can do "cmp /etc/localtime /tmp/zimezone/America/New_York. The files
are actually hard links to each other in the final system, so you'd
probably want to cp the generated data to America/New_York and then
"ln -vf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York
/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern" if they differ.

Does that help?

--
Dan