problems to make glibc-2.3.6 : /tools/include/asm/errno.h:4:31: error: asm-generic/errno.h: No such file or directory

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 08:40:10 PST 2007

On 2/14/07, Kai Ulrich <kaiu at gmx.de> wrote:
> yes, problem solved
> thanx
>
> I did
>
> CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash ../glibc-2.3.6/configure
>     --prefix=/tools \
>     --disable-profile --enable-add-ons \
>     --enable-kernel=2.6.0 --with-binutils=/tools/bin \
>     --without-gd --with-headers=/tools/include \
>     --without-selinux

After you tell configure that CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash, it should
subsitute that for SHELL in make. But, glibc might not work that way.
If you don't pass SHELL=/bin/bash to make, does it still work? I have
a feeling that the important part here is "make SHELL=/bin/bash"
because I don't think configure actually substitutes $SHELL in the
Makefiles like most autotooled projects.

LFS team, I think this is something we need to look into. I'm pretty
sure Drepper insists on bash and could care less if things fail for
you. There was an issue some months ago where one of the glibc tests
was failing. It was because the test was using process substitution, a
definite bashism. In the upstream bug report, Drepper basically said
"you have to use bash". If I can find the bug, I'll link it here.

> Just one question :
> Why do I have this problem, even when I set bash as as default shell for
> user lfs.

You've made bash the login shell for the lfs user. So, when you're
logged in as lfs, you're in a bash shell. However, most build tools
use /bin/sh by default. They don't care what kind of shell you're
currently in.

Most people are good about making sure that things are portable so
that they will work with whatever shell is /bin/sh. But bash-specific
stuff tends to creep in because /bin/sh -> bash for most people
(including LFS).

--
Dan