problems to make glibc-2.3.6 : /tools/include/asm/errno.h:4:31: error: asm-generic/errno.h: No such file or directory

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 14 03:03:35 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:41:30AM +0100, Kai Ulrich wrote:

> >  Did you delete the glibc-2.3.6 and glibc-build directories after
> > the previous errors ?  If not, please do and then try again.  It
> > would be useful if you can log the output, e.g.
> >  'make >../glibc-buildlog 2>&1 | tee'
> >  If you did delete the directories, possibly there are problems with
> > the host packages.
> >
> I deleted them and did a new make - the same problem and message : the
> result in the glibc-build.log is at the end of the mail.
> You ganna find there the configure.log as well

> ... and here is the content of the version-info.h file ...
> "Compiled on a Linux 2.6.12 system on 2007-02-14.\n"
> "Available extensions:
> "

 Both of those lines ought to at a minimum end with '"' and
preferably with '\n"'
> "       GNU libio by Per Bothner\n"
> "       crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others\n"
> "       Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al\n"
> "       BIND-8.2.3-T5B\n"
> "       NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk\n"
>
> >  It would be instructive to look at the first few lines of
> > version-info.h to see what is there.  I'm suspicious about the
> > ubuntu version of /bin/sh - bash 3.1 and 3.2 have needed various
> > fixes.  Or perhaps it isn't bash, I read somewhere that they install
> > dash as the shell for their their bootscripts, to speed them up.
> >
> >  What do you get for '/bin/sh --version'  ?  If it is bash-3.1 and
> > less than 3.1.17, look to see if ubuntu has an updated version
> > available.  Similarly 'sed --version' although I assume all recent
> > distros are using 4.1.5.
> >
> It seeams dash is installed like you said :
> kulrich at frunk:~$ /bin/sh --version
> /bin/sh: Illegal option --
> kulrich at frunk:~$ ls -all /bin/sh
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2006-10-29 20:31 /bin/sh -> dash
>
> bash is is installed as well
> kulrich at frunk:~$ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 3.1.17(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> I found something about changing the dash-link to bash
>
> http://www.ubuntu-forum.de/archive/13419/thread.html
>
> could it be an option to change the shell temporarelly?

 Yes, please try that.
> >  I have a (very vague) memory of seeing this before.  Ah, the good
> > news is that google knows about it, see
> > http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2006-October/031783.html
> >  and the bad news is that I don't know the solution.  In that case,
> > the poster was doing an install alongside ubuntu (on the same
> > partition).
> > ĸen
> >

> Kai

[snipped the logs, strangely I can't see the creation of
version-info in them.]

 Today I'm back on my "build machine" which does have one old set of
logs from LFS using glibc-2.3.6.  Here's the fragment, unfortunately
line-wrapped by my mailer.

 files="../libio/Banner ../crypt/Banner ../libidn/Banner
../nptl/Banner ../resolv/Banner ../nis/Banner";
\
 if test -n "$files"; then                              \
   echo "\"Available extensions:\\n\"";                 \
                            ^^^^^^^^^

   sed -e '/^#/d' -e 's/^[[:space:]]*/  /'              \
 fi) > /usr/src/glibc-build/csu/version-info.hT
mv -f /usr/src/glibc-build/csu/version-info.hT
/usr/src/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h

 This really looks as if dash isn't up to the task (specifically,
its echo command, looks as if it isn't handling escaped special
characters properly).  Please let us know if changing the symlink
to use bash solves the problem.

ĸen