GCC 3 or 4?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 20:53:21 PST 2007

On 2/13/07, Peter B. Steiger <wyo_wl002 at bresnan.net> wrote:

> Well, gcc 4 has been out for quite some time, and I'm sure all the
> source packages have been updated so those patches are no longer needed.
> But do I really need to change my preferred compiler?  Are there any
> benefits such as speed, reliability, stability, etc. with gcc 4 that are
> lacking in gcc 3?

A while back I was reading through the GCC archives and one of the
developers said that one of the main goals is performance. In addition
to making the compiler more robust, the goal is to compile
faster/smaller binaries. So, presumably you could have better
performance using the newer compiler. I'm not going to pretend to
really know GCC. That's just something I read once.

--
Dan