problems to make glibc-2.3.6 : /tools/include/asm/errno.h:4:31: error: asm-generic/errno.h: No such file or directory

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 12 14:24:54 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:21:02PM +0100, Kai Ulrich wrote:

> after fixing that I got following error:
>
> In file included from version.c:33:
> /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h:2: error: missing terminating " character
> /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h:3: error: missing terminating " character
> version.c:40: error: syntax error before string constant
> make[2]: *** [/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/csu/version.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.6/csu'
> make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.6'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> lfs at frunk:/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build$

 Did you delete the glibc-2.3.6 and glibc-build directories after
the previous errors ?  If not, please do and then try again.  It
would be useful if you can log the output, e.g.
 'make >../glibc-buildlog 2>&1 | tee'

 If you did delete the directories, possibly there are problems with
the host packages.  I don't have any logs from LFS-6.2, but the
creation of version-info.h will be fairly similar to the glibc-2.5 I
built last week - it ran a sed on a list of files, I think to
convert one or more spaces to exactly two spaces, and then to add a
newline.

 It would be instructive to look at the first few lines of
version-info.h to see what is there.  I'm suspicious about the
ubuntu version of /bin/sh - bash 3.1 and 3.2 have needed various
fixes.  Or perhaps it isn't bash, I read somewhere that they install
dash as the shell for their their bootscripts, to speed them up.

 What do you get for '/bin/sh --version'  ?  If it is bash-3.1 and
less than 3.1.17, look to see if ubuntu has an updated version
available.  Similarly 'sed --version' although I assume all recent
distros are using 4.1.5.

 I have a (very vague) memory of seeing this before.  Ah, the good
news is that google knows about it, see
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2006-October/031783.html
 and the bad news is that I don't know the solution.  In that case,
the poster was doing an install alongside ubuntu (on the same
partition).

ĸen