Init stops working after kernel upgrade from 2.6.19 to 2.6.20

Peter B. Steiger wyo_wl002 at bresnan.net
Sun Feb 11 20:56:15 PST 2007

Wasn't sure if this is an LFS or BLFS question since it deals with an
upgrade of an established system rather than a question from the book...
but anyhow, here's the deal:

I have been running LFS for about 4 years now with a fresh rebuild
whenever I get new hardware - the last full install was 20060619.  I
upgrade the kernel whenever I think of it, usually every 4-6 months, and
today I went from 2.6.19-1 to 2.6.20.

For whatever reason, /sbin/init locks up after finishing rc.sysinit and
before starting rc level-specific scripts.  Reboot into 2.6.19-1, and
all is well.  Nothing else changed except the kernel, and the kernel
config did not change - I copied .config straight over from the 2.6.19
source tree into 2.6.20.

Here is my /etc/inittab:
id:3:initdefault:

# System initialization... yeah, I have a weird sense of humor
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/autoexec.bat

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0
l1:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE ( use -a to require shutdown.allow )
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

# execute login shell for su
su:S016:once:/sbin/sulogin

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty1 38400
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty2 38400
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty3 38400
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty4 38400
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty5 38400
# intentionally left off terminal 6
=============

I put a bunch of echo statements in the sysinit and rc scripts to track
progress, and it completes sysinit ("autoexec.bat" in the above inittab)
without any trouble.  But my first echo line at the start
of /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc never appears, leading me to believe rc itself
never launches.

I am able to reboot out of the lockup with ctrl-alt-del, although it
takes 30-60 seconds to respond to the reboot signal.

I see that sysvinit itself has not changed in umpteen years.  Is there
anything else that might be different between kernel 2.19.* and 2.20
that would affect how init works, or otherwise explain why the rc script
never launches?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY