GCC Optimization

Dennis J Perkins dperkins at frii.com
Sun Feb 11 09:06:54 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 00:43 +0000, Athena P wrote:
> Many Thanks to everyone which replied to my original post, after reading
> lots of your comments I get the feeling that most of you disagree with
> optimization. To be honest that's cool; however I still believe that
> some optimization, specifically the architectural stuff has still got to
> be worth trying.
>
> So think what I'm going to do its play around, after all that's what LFS
> is all about - if I wanted to have a fully workable and stable system
> then I would simply install Fedora or even worse use M$ XP / Vista!
>
> Time to play and learn!
>
> Many thanks for your comments.

I have built all of LFS with optimization.  With the exception of zlib,
everything was built using "-O2".  zlib used "-O3", which I think came
from the book.

I have used "-O3" in the past and I recall that a few Gnome apps
wouldn't compile, so drop back to "-O2" in those cases and see if you
can compile.

I haven't used any other optimizations.  Some are included in "-O2" or
"-O3", but I doubt it's worth the effort to use them in most cases.