GRUB hosed, frantic

Colin Dean cdean at cs.westminster.edu
Sat Feb 10 13:53:50 PST 2007

So, I somehow managed to hose GRUB on /dev/hda1 while attempting to
install it to a flash drive on /dev/sda1.

After POST, I see

GRUB GRUB

on the screen and it stops there. Usually, it would progress to the GRUB
menu screen and I'd be on my merry way.

I tried to boot from the LFS CD and redo the grub installation:

$ grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)

but it tells me that it cannot find a file when it is installing the
stage files and /boot/grub/menu.lst.

When I try:

$ grub-install --no-floppy /dev/hda1

it tells me that /dev/hda1 is a read-only file system, regardless of
whether or not I have it mounted.

I'm lightly freaking out 'cause I've wasted almost two hours frantically
trying to fix it, as my graduation project is on /dev/hdb1 (probably
safe, but I'm getting itchy nonetheless.

Ideas/help/anything welcome.