Headers?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 8 16:53:20 PST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 04:52:47PM -0700, John Harrigan wrote:
> * Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org>:
> > You shouldn't install the headers from an upgraded kernel.  Ever.
> > The headers should always be what you used when compiling glibc.
> >
> I didn't know that, thanks.  Is this worth mentioning in the
> Upgrade Issues section of chapter six (6.3.1 in the development
> version)?

 It follows from the 'don't use /usr/src/linux for the headers'
comment which used to be in the book (back when people thought
/usr/src/linux was a sensible place to use when upgrading their
kernel - hint for those who don't grok this: untarring a root is not
usually a good idea - for LFS we are making a fresh install, so it
isn't necessarily bad, although building as root _has_ given a
kernel problem not very long ago.).  Maybe that comment is still
there, I can't conventiently search at the moment.  I don't think
it has anything to do with package management.

 Trac is good for recording things that ought to be changed, but
I'm not immediately sure where this would go - we don't generally
talk about upgrades, although I accept that the discussion on
package management does mention upgrades.

ĸen