Dhcpcd and iptables problems (BLFS 6.1)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 15:03:05 PST 2007

These are BLFS questions, so you should probably ask on the
blfs-support list. However...

On 2/7/07, Darcy Roberts <darcy_ro at msn.com> wrote:
> I've tried to get DCHPCD running. (BLFS 6.1)

I would encourage you to try out the BLFS-6.2.0 release candidate if
you're using LFS-6.2.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.2.0-rc2/

> After installing DHCPCD, I modified
> /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 as follows:
>
> ONBOOT=yes
> SERVICE=dhcpcd
> #IP=
> #GATEWAY=
> #PREFIX=
> #BROADCAST=
>
> /etc/ntp.conf, resolv.conf and yp.conf appear to be properly changed by
> dhcpcd at boot time.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/dhcpcd  is exactly like the
> book.

The name of the file doesn't matter. The network script will just try
to process all files it finds in that directory that have ONBOOT=yes.
Since you have SERVICE=dhcpcd in both files, it tries to run the
dhcpcd service twice. You should probably put the ipv4 file back to
how it was before with SERVICE=ipv4-static and change ONBOOT to no.

> FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
> Iptables v1.3.3: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
> you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps insmod or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> - Where in the kernel is the iptables option?

It says in the "Kernel Configuration" section of the iptables page.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.2.0-rc2/postlfs/iptables.html

> FAILURE:
>  You should not be reading this error message.
>
> It means that an unforeseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20network,
> which exited with a return value of 2.

I might be wrong, but I think this is because the dhcpcd service
doesn't exit gracefully if it's already running. But, if you fix the
configuration to only run it once, everything should probably be fine.

--
Dan