Dhcpcd and iptables problems (BLFS 6.1)

Darcy Roberts darcy_ro at msn.com
Wed Feb 7 14:52:13 PST 2007

I've tried to get DCHPCD running. (BLFS 6.1)

I found that net-tools wouldn't compile - a dangling 'default:' in a switch
statement. Fixed these manually.

After installing DHCPCD, I modified
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 as follows:

ONBOOT=yes
SERVICE=dhcpcd
#IP=
#GATEWAY=
#PREFIX=
#BROADCAST=

/etc/ntp.conf, resolv.conf and yp.conf appear to be properly changed by
dhcpcd at boot time.

/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/dhcpcd  is exactly like the
book.

DHCPCD runs, but a bunch of strange things are happening:

1) I get a bunch of error messages regarding iptables:

FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
Iptables v1.3.3: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
you need to insmod?)
Perhaps insmod or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

- Where in the kernel is the iptables option?

2) it tries to start DHCPCD twice. The first succeeds, and the second time
pops out with an error stop:

FAILURE:
 You should not be reading this error message.

It means that an unforeseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20network,
which exited with a return value of 2.

If you're able to track this error down to a bug in one of the files
provided by the LFS book, please be so kind to inform us at
lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org.

Press Enter to continue...

- This seemed to start when I enabled DHCP support in the kernel.

3) When shutting down, it tries to kill off DHCPCD twice, 1st time OK, 2nd
time FAIL.

Why is it starting and stopping dhcpcd twice?

Regards,
Darcy Roberts
AICDairy.com