rc.local doesn't get run?

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 00:30:07 PST 2007

Eric Stout wrote:
> You can do whatever you want with boot scripts.

You make some excellent points here, it's good reading for Newbies.
Bootscripts are fun.

> Personally, I delete all that muckery that makes an aesthetically pleasing
> boot system, because I find that kind of scripting ot have more garbage
> than necessary for a headless system.  But then, I'm running headless
> systems.

Yes, it's (IMO) a mistake to try to make Linux into Windows where 85% of
your hard-won hardware is wasted making eye-candy work.  Eat your heart
out Beryl ;-)

> About the only thing you are required to have for boot scripts is an
> inittab.  As long as the appropriate scripts are called by the appropriate
> runlevel, all is well.
>
> You can have a very simple script that reads like a flat file, or you can
> have some complex monstrosity that greps 30 different files in 20
> different directories on the disc and assembles runable commands on the
> fly while printing pretty and jazzy colors on the screen.

I think the LFS scripts have gone too far down that path.  I'd prefer
them to be in the book, explained, and not as a package.  I don't think
anything in LFS should be a package (e.g. udev rules), just an
explanation in the book.

> OR, you can install initng and tell it what needs to be run in various
> runlevels, and it'll execute things in parallel instead of in order.

As many people know here, I use 'runit' instead of sysvinit.  It's fast,
simple to set up, and reliable.  You have to write ALL your own
bootscripts though.

> With Sysinit, the only requirement you have is the inittab file and the
> files you reference in that one.  Everything else is just eye candy.
>
> In fact, I'm not so sure the files you reference in the inittab are even
> required.  Highly recommended, for sure.
>
> As far as standards..  Depends on who you ask.  My only suggestion there
> is to choose the one you like the best and run with it.  If it's remotely
> possible that someone else will have to admin the box in the future tho,
> it's very very helpful if you choose an existing standard instead of
> creating your own solution.

I try to make it impossible for anyone to even boot my systems - as you
get older 'indispensible' becomes more and more attractive :-)

R.