rc.local doesn't get run?

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 12:30:30 PST 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 09:01, Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
> TheOldFellow wrote on 06-02-07 08:30:
> > Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
> >> Dan Nicholson wrote on 06-02-07 03:18:
> >>
> >> I always thought rc.local, if and when present, was indeed
> >> supposed to be run /last/ in the boot process -- see e.g.:
> >>
> >> http://www.freeos.com/articles/3243/
> >> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rc.html
> >
> > Freeos and netbsd ain't Linux!
>
> Well, early Linux (on which my system is based, it's no distro nor
> LFS) was based on BSD-type init scripts.
> Thanks for pointing out what Linux is not, but then tell me, what
> /is/ Linux.
>
> I stated: "if and when present" on purpose.
>
> Btw., here's another reference to rc.local:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s
>1-boot-init-shutdown-booting.html

If you wanna know, Slackware also supports an rc.local.  Yet it's boot
scripts are configured quite differently from any other distro I
know.  So what?  In fact there are a number of commonalities but
every system I have seen seems to use a different subset plus maybe a
couple of unique ideas of their own.

It is true that a lot of commercial Linux distributions and some other
unix flavours support running rc.local in the way you described.  It
is also true as Dan said that some distros provide the same feature
but call it something else.  And it is true as the old fella said
that there is nothing magic about it, just programming.  Here's how
Slackware does it for example (an extract from their rc.M script):

# Start the local setup procedure.
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.local ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.local
fi

The reason why distros support this feature is so that the local
sysadmin is free to customize (in a limited way) the startup sequence
without making any modifs to the scripts provided by the distro.  The
distro scripts can then be freely upgraded to a new release without
zapping the sysadmin's local edits because the distro doesn't touch
the rc.local.

That's just a common convention, not a standard.  You're free to
configure your LFS system how you like.  There are no fixed rules.
Do what works best.  Read the man pages for init(8) and inittab(5)
and read the bootscripts and the inittab.  When you understand that,
you can judge for yourself what you think is best.

Dan's suggestion of creating the S99 symlink has the advantage of not
requiring any modifs to the bootscripts so giving you the option to
upgrade your LFS one day and keep your existing rc.local.  OTOH,
you're free to hack your bootscripts as you like or add other scripts
and symlinks to start your custom services or whatever you want
without even having an rc.local at all.

> Redhat..., hm.  So again, praytell, what /is/ Linux.

Linux is a kernel.

Unless you prefer an answer from the horse's mouth:

http://www.kernel.org/
"Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from scratch
by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers
across the Net."

Now praytell, what /is/ Unix?  ;-)

--
Barius