rc.local doesn't get run?

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 00:41:23 PST 2007

Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
> TheOldFellow wrote on 06-02-07 08:30:
>> Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
>>> Dan Nicholson wrote on 06-02-07 03:18:
>
>>> I always thought rc.local, if and when present, was indeed
>>> supposed to be run /last/ in the boot process -- see e.g.:
>>>
>>> http://www.freeos.com/articles/3243/
>>> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rc.html
>> Freeos and netbsd ain't Linux!
>
> Well, early Linux (on which my system is based, it's no distro nor LFS)
> was based on BSD-type init scripts.
> Thanks for pointing out what Linux is not, but then tell me, what /is/
> Linux.
>
> I stated: "if and when present" on purpose.
>
> Btw., here's another reference to rc.local:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-boot-init-shutdown-booting.html
>
> Redhat..., hm.  So again, praytell, what /is/ Linux.

LFS is whatever YOU make it.  The Linux Kernel is just part of LFS.

Don't get mad at me, I wan't trying to get at you :-)  You just seemed
to be saying that these things happened "'cos they did" - when actually,
when you understand them, they happen because they have been programmed
(by you) that way.  There is no magick, just programming.

'If and when present' only means something when there is some program,
that you are running, that has been programmed to find said file and do
something with it.

BTW, I'm not reading your references, so you can save your time by not
searching them out.  I understand the LFS bootscripts because I took the
time to read them, run them, and understand them, not because someone
told me how they worked.  Red Hat's documents are not relevant to LFS
bootscripts.

And like you, I've been doing this stuff for years, since the late
1960's in my case.  I think of UNIX System III as modern, and BSD as
some cranky American spin off for University geeks.  I'm not called Old
for nothing ;-)

R.