rc.local doesn't get run?

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 23:30:43 PST 2007

Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote on 06-02-07 03:18:
>
>> I don't know if that's really a standard. In the SuSE partition I
>> have, it's called boot.local. And it's run just about last from their
>> "boot" script, the equivalent to our /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc. But, I think
>> for maximum compatibility with our bootscripts, you'd want to symlink
>> in rcsysinit.d like I described above.
>
> I always thought rc.local, if and when present, was indeed
> supposed to be run /last/ in the boot process -- see e.g.:
>
> http://www.freeos.com/articles/3243/
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rc.html

Freeos and netbsd ain't Linux!

/sbin/init (from sysvinit) is started by the kernel when it's finished
its boot-up actions and init only runs those things it's told to run by
/etc/inittab.

On a regular LFS system, that means whatever /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc does.

In inittab you'll find this line:

	si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc sysinit

and that's all there is to it!

If you want local.rc to run (or anything else, for that matter), do what
Dan says.

R.