Glibc-2.3.4-20040701 make check error

Vladimir A. Pavlov pv4 at bk.ru
Sat Feb 3 13:14:47 PST 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 10:50, Richard Caldwell wrote:
> Hi,
>     just ran 'make check' again and it appears to have run correctly!!!
> problem solved hopefully!!

Be careful!

The method suggested in the book to check the glibc package suggests
running "make -k check" instead of usual "make check" and redirect the
output to a file so that you can look through it later to find errors
and probably other things of interest.

Note the "-k" argument that tells make not to stop upon errors. That
causes make to run all the tests in spite of some of them failed.

When you run just "make check" make stops at the _first_ error and
"remembers" that error. If you then run "make check" for the second
time, it will _not_ stop at the error it has stopped at the previous
try so it will stop at the first "unknown" error.

So, running "make check" several times you will "move" between errors
seeing a new one every time make stops. No wonder that at the end you
saw no errors. You had seen all the actual errors before.

Your first letter proves the description above:

> every time I ran make check I got different errors,

So, the real number of errors your glibc has is equal to the number of
times you had to re-run "make check" after it had failed.

It's your system and your rules but I recommend you running
"make -k check" if possible and grepping the output as the book says.

--
Nothing but perfection
pv