problem in chapter 6

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 3 10:47:02 PST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 04:38:50PM +0100, fraggle at phcn.de wrote:

> hello fellows, first one, lfs is a great idea & iam lovin it,
>
> now, to my problem, what could i have forgot or what is here wrong?
>
> its at chapter 6 - part 9 : glibc-2.3.6
>
> when i want to configure it, it starts, end then, ends with this error message :
>
> checking for suffix on object files.... configure: error: cannot computer suffix of object files : cannot compile
>
> more details are in the config.log
>
> http://simpleupload.net/download/41077/config.log.html
>
> maybe someone can gave me useful hints, thanks for reading, greetings

 Please don't post logs there.  I'm in a good mood, so I tried
downloading it - it said the file had been downloaded 0 times, gave
me adverts encouraging me to pay for the service, some pop-ups that
firefox failed to trap, a countdown, looked up its .de server, then
nothing.  Went back, it said it had been downloaded once, so it
seems to think it gave me the file.  For problems in LFS, we
normally ask people to post the error messages, and some context, in
an email.  You've identified that we need to see config.log, so I'm
going to ask you to look at it and tell us the relevant message(s).

 LFS is a learning experience, here you get to learn how to read
config.log :)

 Open it in your favourite editor or viewer (on the host system).
You will see that every test which the configure script ran generates
a chunk of data, a reference to the line number in the configure
script, and often an error message.  Some errors are normal, it's how
configure works out what you have and don't have.

 Search for the error message you got.  It should be next to the test
program that caused it (not usually interesting).  Above that (maybe
20 to 50 lines before the error message) you should see one or more
error message(s), probably from 'cpp' or  'ld'.  It is, or they are,
what we need to see to diagnose the problem.

 You will also see that the end of the config.log is a dump of the
variables (not particularly useful for most problems in the LFS
book).  This means that you can't just look at the end of the log to
find the last test that was run.

 In this case, I think you are at the first place within chroot where
you need to use a compiler.  My preliminary guess is a missing
libgcc_s.so symlink, but the message within config.log may point
to something else entirely (e.g. I've triggered this sort of thing
with bad CFLAGS).

 Oh, and on the LFS lists I usually reply to the list only (a few
people set the reply-to or whatever and I don't notice, in this case
I did).

ĸen