SPAM-LOW: Re: Spring Ahead

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 19:18:50 PST 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 21:30, Chuck Rhode wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote this on Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:03:16AM +0000.  My
> reply is below.
>
> > On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:54:44PM -0600, Chuck Rhode wrote:
> > > ... so, what are US LFS 5.0 users going to do who've configured
> > > UTC=1 in /etc/sysconfig/clock when clocks change to DST in
> > > March instead of in April?
> >
> > For a desktop, 5.0 is so old it isn't funny.  The issue exists
> > for anybody using glibc < 2.3.6.
>
> Gosh, you talk like Bill Gates!

The difference is that Bill Gates does it to sell more licenses and
make more $$$.

> One of the pleasures of the LFS approach is that one acquires a lot
> of experience doing piecemeal upgrades.

Personally, I find that there is a big gap between the level of
knowledge required to build a complete LFS system (basically just
blindly following a recipe) and the level of knowledge required to
actually maintain and upgrade a system in place (you're on your own).
It was the lack of upgradability that caused me to deviate from LFS
years ago... and that's when I really started learning.

[snip]
> Full disclosure: I do
> think the Ubuntu live CD is kind of cute, and I am tempted to try
> installing that instead of LFS next time if I can suppress my
> visceral abhorrence of packaged software.

It all depends what you want.  Firstly, IMO live CD's are OK to take a
'quick' look without taking the trouble or risk to install.  But
forget them if you want a usable system--cdrom access is just too
slow (15 minutes to start Firefox).

If you want to understand how your system fits together and have full
freedom to take far-reaching design decisions, use LFS approach, at
least as a starting point.  If you want something that 'just works',
then Ubuntu has done a very good job.  But you have to be prepared to
accept a lot of setup decisions that are not necessarily what you
would have chosen.  Then again, you don't really need to worry
yourself with those if you're using the distro.

I've installed Ubuntu on a recently-inherited turn-of-millenium epoch
laptop.  It worked perfectly.  Then I received a pcmcia wireless
card.  I plugged it in, powered up the system and it just worked!
(Well, actually I did have to go into some networking gui app and
select my default gateway to use the wireless eth1 instead of
built-in nic eth0, but no more than that.)  One day I got fed up with
booting last remaining Windoze installation to use my scanner.  I
went into synaptic, installed xane with a few clicks, plugged the
scanner into the usb port and made a perfect scan first time.  It's
not perfect, but as an anti-distroer for my own use, I am seriously
impressed with ubuntu and would recommend it for many cases.

--
Barius