SPAM-LOW: Re: Spring Ahead

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:24:12 PST 2007

On 2/2/07, Chuck Rhode <CRhode at lacusveris.com> wrote:
> Thanks, guys, for pointing out *glibc*.

Wow, thank you! I had no idea about how zdump or zic worked.

> I've taken a quick look, and I don't believe one needs to build it
> merely to update timezones.  Please tell me what you think of this:
>
> These instructions make assumptions about where things are located
> based on the LFS 5.0 Book.  They are a stepwise approach to fixing
> time-zone information to comply with new daylight-saving time (DST)
> begin/end dates mandated this year (2007) by the United States
> Congress in 2005.  Those not affected by any of this (You know who you
> are, Canucks not excepted.) can ignore what follows.

This certainly looks accurate to the current book from my perspective.
And it's useful in general not just for glibc-2.3.2 vs glibc-2.3.6.
The zoneinfo files could be updated at any time, so it's good to know
how to generate them if you're not on the bleeding edge of glibc.

Chuck, I think it would be great if you could put these instructions
on the LFS wiki. Hmm, it doesn't appear to be as fleshed out as the
BLFS wiki. Let me get back to you on that...

--
Dan