SPAM-LOW: Re: Spring Ahead

Chuck Rhode CRhode at LacusVeris.com
Fri Feb 2 12:30:04 PST 2007

Ken Moffat wrote this on Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:03:16AM +0000.  My
reply is below.

> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:54:44PM -0600, Chuck Rhode wrote:

> > ... so, what are US LFS 5.0 users going to do who've configured
> > UTC=1 in /etc/sysconfig/clock when clocks change to DST in March
> > instead of in April?

> For a desktop, 5.0 is so old it isn't funny.  The issue exists for
> anybody using glibc < 2.3.6.

Gosh, you talk like Bill Gates!

One of the pleasures of the LFS approach is that one acquires a lot of
experience doing piecemeal upgrades.

Years ago, when I was employed, I applied software upgrades to OS/1100
on Sperry-Univac and Unisys mainframes.  Then Unisys began issuing
"base releases" of forty or fifty replacement components at once.
Newer component patch levels were always available, but base-release
levels had been tested together and were guaranteed to work together.
As soon as they started doing that, I was out of a job and haven't
worked since.  Needless to say, I am not a fan of the "all at once"
concept, although I can see how lower out-of-pocket cost benefits
customers of proprietary software houses like Unisys, IBM, and
Microsoft.  Full disclosure: I do think the Ubuntu live CD is kind of
cute, and I am tempted to try installing that instead of LFS next time
if I can suppress my visceral abhorrence of packaged software.

--
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
.. Weather:  http://LacusVeris.com/WX