make - no such file or directory

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 2 08:34:23 PST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:36:31PM +0800, Aleksandar Adam wrote:

> Sorry, that I didn'r read carefully
>
> I have done the following before I have entered chroot environment:
>
> "ldd /tools/bin/make"
>
> the output is:
>
> "linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
> librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb7f05000)
> libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7e1b000)
> libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7e0a000)
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f15000) "

 So, we are back to my original assumption - you have linked at
least part of the chapter 5 programs against the host's libraries
instead of against libraries in /tools.

[ snips the PATH and variables from inside chroot, they are fine ].

 You said that you thought the sanity check was ok when you
originally ran it, and that it seemed to be ok when you reran it
now.  We know that 'make' and 'cat' don't work in chroot, but some
things (e.g. the shell) seem to work (otherwise you would not get
into chroot).

 For each package in chapter 5, from glibc onwards, take a sample
program it installed to /tools and run the host's ldd against it.
If the program you pick isn't a dynamic executable, pick another.
If it shows links to /lib or /usr/lib it was built incorrectly and
you won't be able to run it in chroot.

 When you have that information, you can identify which packages you
need to rebuild.  I'm still guessing that you interrupted the build
at least once, and that on one or more times something wasn't set up
correctly when you resumed the build.

 I'm still unsettled by your remark that you could see the README
with 'ls' although cat didn't work - maybe you meant the host's ls,
but if not please also run the host's ldd over /tools/bin/ls as well
as /tools/bin/cat.

 If the "interrupted build" explanation doesn't ring true t you, is
there something unusual about your host, e.g. it runs selinux, or you
used sudo to become the lfs user and are restricted in what you can
do as 'lfs', or anything else weird ?

ĸen