Spring Ahead

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 07:44:00 PST 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 12:03, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:54:44PM -0600, Chuck Rhode wrote:
> > ... so, what are US LFS 5.0 users going to do who've configured
> > UTC=1 in /etc/sysconfig/clock when clocks change to DST in March
> > instead of in April?
>
> The issue exists for anybody using glibc < 2.3.6.
>
>  If you don't want to upgrade, I guess you can build 2.3.6 with a
> different prefix, install it there, and then copy the updated
> timezone data files to /usr/share/zoneinfo.  Obviously needs to be
> tested on a non-production system!

Ken's suggestion sounds like a good one, although I would do it
slightly differently.  Build glibc-2.3.6 with the _same_ prefix as
you used on your LFS 5.0 system, but just install to a different
location, like this:

make install_root=/tmp/glibc236 install

(The install_root make variable functions for glibc like DESTDIR does
for many other packages.)

You can then just replace your /etc/localtime symlink with the
appropriate file from the new build, like this:

rm -f /etc/localtime &&
cp /tmp/glibc236/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York

--
Barius