make - no such file or directory

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 1 09:31:46 PST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 12:02:54AM +0800, Aleksandar Adam wrote:
> Hi,
> i am trying to install man-pages-2.34 (6.8. Man-pages-2.34 in LFS-book) but when I issue:
>
> "make install"
>
> i got the following output:
>
> ":bash: /tools/bin/make: No such file or directory"
>
> but there is "make" file in "/tools/bin directory"
>
> How to solve this?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Aleksandar

Hi Aleksandar,

 I assume you are following the stable book (6.2).  The 'No such
file or directory' message usually means, if it happens in the LFS
book, that a program is linked against a library that is now not
accessible.  This is the first time you have tried to run 'make'
since you entered chroot (linux-libc-headers is unusual in only
being installed).

 From outside chroot, please run 'ldd /tools/bin/make' to see what
it is linked against.  If it uses anything in /lib or /usr/lib then
probably, something went wrong when you were adjusting the toolchain
in section 5.7 : did you run the sanity check in the 'Caution' box
of section 5.7 ?

 Alternatively, perhaps you interrupted the build, and did not set
things up correctly (e.g. PATH) when you resumed, so that some
packages were built with the host's toolchain.

ĸen