Grub settings for sda, hda (VMWare)

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 10:14:44 PST 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 22:43, lanas wrote:
> Folks,
>
>   Using VMware, I've installed LFS from the Live CD 6.1.1 (nalfs).
> The VM already has SuSE 10.0 32 bits on the main VMWare drive sda and
> LFS was installed on the next drive, hda.  Would hda then be the
> second drive in grub and if so, would it follow the same naming
> convention eg. sda = hd0, hda = hd1 ?

Usually, IDE disks come before SCSI in the BIOS (hda is IDE, sda is
SCSI) so if you did not have the hda before and you have added it
recently, then it would become hd0 and sda would become hd1.  If that
is the case, then you will also not be able to boot the SUSE partition
either for the moment (same Error 15: file not found).

>   Here are the two grub menu.lst entries:
>
> title SUSE LINUX 10.0
>     root (hd0,0)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 vga=0x336 selinux=0
>     initrd /boot/initrd
>
> title LFS 6.1.1
>     root (hd1,0)
>     kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.11.12 root=/dev/hda1
>
>   This yields the following error when the LFS entry is chosen at
> boot time:
>
>   kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.11.12 root=/dev/hda1
>   Error 15: file not found
>
>   I've also tried 'root (hd0,0)' for the LFS entry, but still the
> same error.

Hmmm, if my above theory is correct, then I would expect that to
work....
Try an interactive grub session as pv suggested.

>   Any ideas ?

Are you using virtual disks (files) or raw partitions?  If files, you
should be able to remove the hda from the vm config and re-add the same
files to the config as a scsi disk.  It would then become sdb and hd1
in grub.

--
Barius