Verifiying commands entered

Matt.Koll at t-online.de Matt.Koll at t-online.de
Thu Oct 19 05:40:20 PDT 2006

    Hi,
I am building with the LiveCD and have made it to Chapter 5.11.1 GCC
build Phase 2.
I am at the point of running the commands for the fixinclude scripts.
I have entered it as provided in the book, but would like to check that
the command was actually successful.
I am worried as I do see the message of the successful copy (the first
command) but I am confused as to why Makefile.in at the end is still
showing a date and time way back in the past.

Or am I mistaken in thinking that the way the file is modified should be
reflected in the date and time indicating when the file was last
touched?

I am also concerned as I had entered in chap 5.7 the litte verficiation
test with dummy.c, at which end I did get no response. Then I checked
the SPECFILE and realised that the change supposed to go in was not
there. i.e. the link to the dynamic linker was not /tools/lib..... but
still /lib..... After altering this by hand, the test worked as
expected.
I am still trying to work out why this part of the command did not work,
as I did not get any message indicating an unsuccesful execution.

Any hint towards documentaiton that may help me or a little indication
on how I can verify the successful execution of the (or a ) command will
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt