package users: installing the linux package

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 12:02:34 PDT 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 14:04, Angel Tsankov wrote:

> >> That's up to you.
> >
> > Do you mean that it's OK to make /boot an installation
> > directory? If so, why do I have to create and populate
> > /boot/grub as root?
>
> Anyone?

It's your choice.  If you install the grub files as root, then you don't
need to make /boot an installation directory.  If you prefer to
make /boot an installation directory and install the grub stuff there
as user grub, you are free to do so.  I can't think of any reason why
that shouldn't work (you are in chapter 6.34?). AFAICT, the only bit
that you would need to do as root is the installation of the boot
loader in the MBR (the grub shell bit in ch 8.4). And if you make the
appropriate adjustment on your device nodes (e.g. adding grub user to
disk group) you might even be able to avoid doing that as root too...

--
Barius