Between 6.9 and 6.10 Re-adjusting the toolchain

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 16 14:24:14 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 07:59:18PM +0200, contact at logarytm.com wrote:

> >  You seem to be in /LFS when I would really expect you to be in /
> > (that is, /mnt/lfs) although you are root.  This sort of suggests you
> > aren't in chroot, in which case you have probably trashed the files
> > in /tools.
>
> My /LFS is the /mnt/lfs
>
> >  The big question is, did you forget to chroot, or did the command
> > to do so fail ?
> Since it failed I exited the chroot environment

 If you are now saying that you knew it had failed, why did you
continue ? (Your words here can be interpreted in at least 2 ways,
so maybe you're saying you fell out of chroot because it failed and
you didn't notice).

 On a straight-through build (compared to doing a bit, shutting
down, and triggering the error when you resumed) you have
potentially installed the new linux-libc-headers and glibc into the
host system.

 Depending on the damage, you might need to reinstall the host's
system (although I think that is a remote possibility, but bear it
in mind if compiles break or you get odd behaviour when you try to
run programs).

 If the failure to chroot happens again, note the error and ask for
help if you can't diagnose it.

Ken