Between 6.9 and 6.10 Re-adjusting the toolchain

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 16 10:24:49 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 06:55:17PM +0200, contact at logarytm.com wrote:
> No such file or directory
>
> Since I didnt have the i486-linux I changed the $(gcc -dumpmachine) to
> i686-linux which I have, but in this process I accidently cp -v over the
> ld in /tools/bin/ld and /tools/i686-linux/bin/ld.

 So, gcc -dumpmachine thought you were on i486, but the things you
had built were for i686.

> the toolchain obviously doesnt work:
> w00t:/LFS# grep 'SEARCH.*/usr/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g'
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/i386-linux/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");

 You seem to be in /LFS when I would really expect you to be in /
(that is, /mnt/lfs) although you are root.  This sort of suggests you
aren't in chroot, in which case you have probably trashed the files
in /tools.

 I guess your host thinks it's i486 (Slackware, perhaps).  If so,
that would explain your results.

> Where do I go from here? Sorry for my lack of experience.
> Thanks in advance,

 Unless you have a backup from before the cp (that is, a backup from
the end of chapter 5), I think you will have to go back to the
beginning.  And no, I _don't_ recommend taking a backup at the end
of chapter 5 unless you are experimenting with buildscripts or new
instructions for adjusting the toolchain.

 The big question is, did you forget to chroot, or did the command
to do so fail ?

Ken