x86_64 build what to use LFS or CLFS

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 13 10:56:03 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 05:45:52PM +0200, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:

> AFAIK CLFS shall be used if the host system is 32 bit and target system is 64
> bit, because that is not a native build.

 In fact, for building on anything other than x86, CLFS is the only
game in town.  People have always built LFS on architectures other
than x86, but the necessary changes have been hard to find, and what
used to work a year or two ago might not work with current versions.

 So, if you have the ability to build a working system on a
different architecture by following and adapting what is in the LFS
book, feel free to continue to do that.  Yes, each time you build a
new system it will probably take some time, but it provides excellent
learning.  If you want an easier method, or just want to join in
public development, and your architecture is supported, use CLFS.

 One of my machines only ever runs as x86_64-64, but I build several
systems on it each year using (or developing) the CLFS instructions.
Yes, pretending that I'm cross-compiling is arguably causing me to
spend some extra time at the start of the build, but it means my
results will be repeatable.

Ken