x86_64 build what to use LFS or CLFS

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Fri Oct 13 08:45:52 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 04:48:45PM +0200, kriss wrote:
> hi
>

> >LFS cannot be used to build a 64-bit system. You must use CLFS.
> >
> >I didn't know it. Where in the book is it pointed out?
> it should be mentionned on the project page
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/

Hm. I've used LFS to build my system. The  "5.2. Toolchain Technical Notes"
gives introductory description of the differences. The rest of stuff
like '/lib64' instead of '/lib' came from tips.

AFAIK CLFS shall be used if the host system is 32 bit and target system is 64
bit, because that is not a native build.

One thing is kind of confusing. The above page warns about differences
in the name of platform and in the name of dynamic linker. But it does not
mention the fact that there shall be differences in the names of
directories. Ideally, either the list has to be full, or there should be
some general statement like "there can be other differences, please
consult documents so und so" :)