backup lfs 6.2 to dvd?

Alexander Stellwag alex-lists-lfs-support at stellwag.net
Wed Oct 11 00:23:55 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 08:07:34PM -0700, Arden wrote:
> After building and successfully booting LFS 6.2  I would like to
> backup the system I have made so far. If I burn a copy of the system
> onto a dvd can it be restored without any special problems? will
> everything copy successfully? I have never done this before and if
> anyone has any
> advice I would really appreciate. thanks Arden

Have a look at this hint:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfsbackup.txt

It does not exactly what you want but it might be a starting point.

Apart from that: I usually do the following after "major upgrades":

- boot the final system via LFS Live-CD
- mount all filesystems unter /mnt (except proc, sys, dev/pts)
- tar up /mnt using "tar cfpjv /some/other/path/lfs.tar.bz2 /mnt/*"
- burn the tarball onto DVD.

This makes shure that everything gets copied and that all the file and
directory permissions are set up right.

cheers,
Alex